Visual Storyteller :: Lighting Expert
Neil’s skillset with Lighting can only be called “cinematic”.
Every interview, the forground, subject and background are carefully balanced.
Even reality TV show producers recognize it – hahahahahaha
Movement Studied :: Stories Revealed
Movement catches the eye.
Movement unexpected holds the eye.
Movement tells the story of the age old questions.
Movement captured well, is irreplaceable in visual storytelling
Visual Perspective :: Visual Creativity
The creative visual perspective
Introduces us to life – seen again
Life seen afresh
Neil’s habit of seeing, transforms a script into a fresh visual document
Bachelor of Arts : Major Study : Art : Graduated 2000
Minor in Outdoor Recreation Management
Houghton College, Houghton, NY
Full time employment doing quality work with a learner‘s attitude in a place where creativity is abundant, criticism is shared, and leadership is strong; to be prolific in that environment furthering my audience and abilities beyond what I achieved in the past.
- Visually intelligent, creatively motivated
- 17 year’s on set production experience for Still & Motion
- Lighting and Grip for cinema : dolly, crane and steadicam setup and operation
- Adobe Creative Suite workflow mastery with Photoshop, Dreamweaver, InDesign, Illustrator, Flash, and Lightroom
- Proficient in common Web technologies including WordPress, HTML, CSS, & PHP
- Professional training expertise communicating concepts and technical skills to fellow professionals
- Farm grown common sense with a strong work ethic
- Extensive experience with collaborative problem solving
- RGB Production: web scalability, video production, photo archive management
- CMYK Print Production: Long Run, Short Run, On Demand and Book Binding
- Direct and Internet Marketing services for companies Capitalized at <1-3m
- Brand Development and Management for Startups
- Sales and Marketing for creative services
- For complete history please view my extensive Linked In profile
- 18 Years as freelance creative professional in production
- 18 Year experience branding and marketing creative services
- Clients include: New York Times Magazine, General Mills, UPS, Kodak, Bausch & Lomb, Harpers, Beretta, Intermedia Outdoors, Nikon, Sig Saur, Ruger, Smith & Wesson, New York State Tourism Board, Constellation Brands, ESPN, H&G TV
- Brands managed: Gepetto Millworks, Rockin’ Baby, Houghton College, Microtraining
- Relate to Each Individual
- Create from Personal Insight
- Dream Globally and Act Locally
Broadcast TV Titles
- ESPN Golf
- NASCAR Reality
- Big Deer
- Guns & Ammo
- Gallery of Guns
- Ruger Inside and Out
- World Of Beretta
- Peterson’s Hunting
- Bowhunter TV
- North American Whitetail
Neil takes initiative, and completes the basic goals while looking for those beautiful shots only he brings back. As producer of an adventure and wilderness TV show for over ten years, the camera operators who excel are few and far between. It’s too easy to get the safe shot, and yet Neil communicates well to set the stage and executes the difficult shots. He comes back with a more nuanced story line and the elegant and artistic moments that bring a final edit from mundane to sensational. I have worked with Neil from the Kalahari desert to the Colorado mountains and seen maintain his equipment from 100 degree heat to -20F cold while in a good humor. His up-before-dawn and late night time lapses are the most dramatic elements in our show’s history. He collaborated with me to design a hero style show opener that utilized slow motion footage. His quad-copter or “drone” flying footage was the first in our show’s history, and still the most interesting!Kevin Steele
Neil directed me comfortably. I have lots to say, but get so nervous I trip on my words. I’m a wordsmith, and Neil would help edit me on the fly into the time constraints keeping the eloquent bits and helping me leave the rest behind. Besides the fact that I looked cooler in Neil’s footage than other camera operators or directors; he’s the guy I want to spend the day in the pit with. Meaning, his relaxed but confident demeanor and good conversation skills help the time pass on these difficult and wild shoots.Skip Knowles
Neil is possibly the most talented photographer I’ve ever met. While some people take pictures, others are Artists. Artist describes Neil. From his technical skills to his mastery of composition I am always in awe.
Neil is one of those thoroughly creative, aesthetically genius people that I strive to compare myself to in my own work.
Neil has an incredible eye for images, and presents a new reality through his photographs. Whenever I’ve had the pleasure of working on a job with Neil, he’s always been a complete pro, focused on his work and considerate to other professionals who needed to share the same work area. And, he could always add some levity to the situation, even if things weren’t going perfectly. I would work with Neil any day, and not hesitate to recommend him.Dave Bartlett
Neil is one of the most talented individuals I have ever met. I hired Neil on multiple occasions for consulting, coaching and training of my digital workflow and compositional technique. Neil’s skills as a artist combined with his incredible talent for digital media management and ease of workflow far exceeds anyone I know in this industry. If you hire Neil prepare to be amazed.
Neil Cowley is beyond talented. He’s a self-starter, a self-generator, and selfless with his wonderful, creative ideas. He’s always striving to bring his readers beyond the obvious elements of the story.Gary Fong
Neil is an incredibly innovative, hardworking, out-of-the-box thinker and worker. He is an asset to any team, and would be an incredible creative resource to any company.
Please let me know if you have any direct questions about Neil specifically. I would highly recommend him for any creative position!!”>Neil is an incredibly innovative, hardworking, out-of-the-box thinker and worker. He is an asset to any team, and would be an incredible creative resource to any company.
Please let me know if you have any direct questions about Neil specifically. I would highly recommend him for any creative position!!Kathryn Wiley
As a field producer/director, I have worked with Neil for 4 years and on each production he has been a key member of the team. Neil has a comprehensive understanding of camera equipment, lighting and cinematography. I can rely on Neil to creatively capture the image I have for each shot. With a ever cheerful attitude Neil inspires the whole crew to be more creative and makes each shoot a fun atmosphere. I highly recommend Neil as a go to Videographer in any circumstance. Whether you have a highly controlled set or you are capturing fast ever changing action Neil is a great hire for your next production.Stacy Ratliff